The Innovation Task Force seeks to work with the Brazilian government to develop proven, market-based incentives to drive innovation, technology diffusion, job creation, and economic growth.
MESSAGE FROM THE CHAIR
IBM is proud to serve as chair of the Innovation policy agenda and is committed to continued engagement. The Council works with the Brazilian government to develop proven, market-based incentives that drive innovation, technology diffusion, job creation, and economic growth. Our agenda focuses primarily on privacy and information and communication technology issues, local content requirements, and intellectual property compliance.
- Led industry submission of public comments to the Brazilian Ministry of Justice on the draft privacy bill.
- Advocated for the signing of the U.S.-Brazil Patent Prosecution Highway Agreement.
2016 POLICY AGENDA
- Information and Communication Technology (ICT)
- Urge the Brazilian government to adopt regulations regarding respect for data privacy to promote trade and growth, striking a balance between public and private interests in this area.
- Encourage Brazil’s accession to the World Trade Organization’s Information Technology Agreement.
- Local Content Requirements
- Oppose the implementation of local content requirements and discriminatory provisions in public procurement policy, as well as in the software and telecommunications industries.
- Intellectual Property Rights (IPR)
- Support legislation that does not erode current intellectual property protections and is on par with internal intellectual property agreements.
- Recommend that Brazilian and U.S. governments negotiate and implement a broad patent agreement aimed at fast-tracking patent applications and approvals.
- Recommend that Brazil use the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO) Madrid System for the International Registration of Marks to fast-track trademark applications and approvals.
Committee membership is voluntary and exclusive to our members, and each group is chaired by one or more members. Contact us if you are interested in getting involved.